Tuesday

from: emine nergis uçak
title: mirrors mirrors 
form: text; e-mail letter and www address

Our paths intersected in a world where I thought virtuality had the dimension of shape of communication only... We were debating 'virtual love', and you, Hakan Akçura, also known as Maigret, was the only person who took the subject seriously, and got somewhat angry with it. On the other hand, I was writing about everything other than that subject partly because of its content, partly because of my reaction to my editor, and partly because of enjoying the company of my friends. It was a state of peace being small talk for me, but lewdness for Hakan. Then we promoted to ICQ. So a period of friendship began for me, where the shortest sentences made me enjoy the longest meanings. And I liked the concept of the 'Mirrors' project as much as Hakan did... I think the reason of said liking was the following comment by Hakan during the first and probably last virtual interview I had:

"I reached a point in my life where I could say 'I won't grieve if I die today!'. Why, how, the answer is my secret! And I am also far from the freedom of being able to prefer to die, which I always thought is one of the greatest liberties of mankind. Because mine was a walk of life where Death was a companion... Now I am at a point in my life where I am just distracted...Where I try to regain the joy of life. In spite of that, I've noticed that I am standing on the edge of an event where I fully expose my private life to attacks. Maybe I have to own all my mirrors in order to be able to shatter all of them."

I interpreted it as the statue of spiritual maturity called 'kamil' in the Turkish mysticism...And as frames about life and problems opened thanks to brief sentences uttered in the meantime, I suffered the bleeding wounds of hopelessness, even if I could not reflect it well..

"I wore blooded clothes/Do you know it?" Yes I do, but unfortunately noticing a problem does not necessarily mean solving it...I am sorry for this, but I am happy to get to know you or for your aspects that I could see...

1.
What about the virtual things we/you lived in real life?
Forum: Virtual love
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 18:48:09
from:


People talk about reality, about real life. OK...two people see each other's face. Then they speak, understand each other, love each other, and have an affair. Don't they lie? Isn't the lies they told each other about their pasts, states, intelligence, choices, what their lives contained, what their lives did not contain, even their hearts, are where many affairs broke!...

Are some of you not able to be himself/herself because of the morality, interpretations, definitions and categories of real life? Do most of the pains suffered in an affair not arise from those true lies, changes, obligations, failure to act in other ways?

If so, here is a facility for you: the Internet language. You can present yourself as you are, or you can plot a game. You can strip off your sexual identity, name, class, shape, do not know what is real. Let only the language remain. Its attraction, its skill...

Please be sure that your nerves, even your eye will perceive/see the real level in this state of uncertainty thanks to that language selected and used carefully. You can stay in the language if you wish, enjoy solidarity with it against the possible lies of the affairs of real life...Remember, you will only account to yourself! The reality of that virtual language will test itself through your efforts, your openness...it will make you believe in it, or just opposite...If you wish, you can turn it into a body, taking all relevant risks, make it real!

What can happen? In this life what has run out must run out. If you will not be able to have the courage to transform this life, who will? Please not be sure, try something, change something, or just give up and return to your home... Come on, how much can you trust your eyes in real life... What's more, how many people are determined to be himself/herself, to care the body wishes, love... What's better is that this new language stripes our bodies naked, so that we can look at real life with courage, enrich our eye, words and actions with that language, make them different!
Sure, the next century's people will not be those who remain unmoved. They will be the women who can let the man inside them grow up, or the men who can let the woman inside them grow up.

Magic is important. Neither cheap, nor shallow, maybe tales will be written again in the future, a hundred years after they were forgotten...

2.
The power to determine what is real...
Forum: Virtual love
title: The matter that must be debated
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 16:59:58
from:


The answer I found the best is yours...I draw your attention to the fact that I did not say "the best answer", I said "the answer I found the best"; because I can only consider your answers as it is. I can't classify it according to my power, my wishes, my judgements. I have no right to do this, in fact nobody has!

While saying "the matter that must be debated" you criticize the editor's style causing the heart of the matter to be overlooked, but in my opinion the editor's style leads to a secondary debate, so it can't be wrong. In fact, I had given the following comment to a previous debate concerning a text:

Where general morality and the real life norms and categories meddle with virtual actions, however reluctantly... Although the virtual language is an opportunity to get rid of all those norms and categories, young people don't dare to do so, because they are moralists...Even if you postpone talking about this matter to another session, I think this is one of the real matters of life and therefore is debatable. I am looking forward to your comments.
Regards.

3.
I envy Hikmet. I want you to answer me too, you angry man. Do not skip it. :)
Forum: Virtual love
title: "The matter that must be debated"
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 00:38:04
from:


4.
What are you, Hikmet?
Forum: Virtual love
title: "Fourth dimension " or "To think is to be deceived" !
Date : Sat, 13 Feb 1999 02:16:01
from:


I know, the subject is bizarre question. I think you entered the site with caution.
You are almost perfect at that place you knew, I saw you knew, I knew. But almost, because the perfection itself is so dull!
You are the ideologist of that dimension you call the fourth...You must be copied to ten sites, and it is impossible for you to survive there. So Hikmet, whose vital veins I cannot see, the subject above remains the only question to be asked, and it a serious question at that...Because the fourth dimension identifies the time, and the time identifies the fifth dimension...
With love and the feeling that you make me shiver.

5.
I break. Please forgive, Nergis!
Forum: Virtual Love
title: Dictatorship of the soul..?..
title: Love means..
title: I'm too late! I'm too late!
title: Never mind, you are here:-)))
title: Flash note
Date : Sat, 20 Feb 1999 17:59:04
from:


I wonder do you remember that message: "I am very interested and ambitious. I don't want to write a haphazard answer. I can't, anyway. Can I have one or two days until I complete the works in my hand? Regards."
I wait since February 15 your interested and ambitious answer...If you won't answer, let me know. Everybody dilutes this forum now. Hikmet has began to send flowers, an activity I watch with disillusionment and understanding. If I am waiting in vain, I shall not visit this forum anymore. Be well (Get well soon, Nergis.)

6.
A need to open a parenthesis...For everybody in general and three people in particular...
Forum: Virtual love
Date : Mon, 15 Feb 1999 00:58:44
from:


This forum has just started to yield more than I bargained for. For myself. I think everybody visiting this site uses the Internet for dialogue one way or another. And almost everybody experienced some kind of 'relationship trouble' by standing at the edge of it, by suspiciously looking at it, producing games, telling lies, telling just the truth, revealing their real identities, hiding their identities, logging in sometimes and logging out at other times, scanning and sending their photos, asking for photos. While experiencing all those things, only a few of us produced rage, wisdom, search engine or other syntheses (if I may say so, as much as I did).

However, we all know that the language we speak is not the one we learned step by stem after birth anymore, nor one of the other languages life taught us...It is now a new language with which we have to learn to produce new syntheses. Most of us just watch that language to flow, get excited, are panicked, embrace it, reject it, fail to overcome its outcomes. Somewhere some people conduct serious researches on how much those going on using the Internet language become asocialized. Those people find it difficult to realize a new kind of socialization, to understand how their relations with real life are changing.

Now I draw your attention to the possibility that maybe the very nature of all those pathways or highways, which we took while debating on the virtual love story (fact or fiction), are the problems of that 'new language'. As we all know, the Internet language changes us at certain points: the way we use the time in the Internet language, i.e. the fact that speed becomes more and more important, so that we struggle to seek the belief in some tangled tunnels probably built of particles of intelligence, to get accustomed with summarization of emotions and attitudes (laugh, guffaw, astonishment) by the Smiley coding; we think we could learn a total identity by asking a total question such as "asl?", so that the faculty and skill of articulation becomes more and more important... All these things brought something unrejectable to our lives: intolerance!

How many of us are still open to a little slow, a little shy, a little thoughtful dialogue begging for tolerance, which wasn't a problem until yesterday? How defendable is our expectation of living the real life at the Internet speed? How defendable are our separation of the soul from the body, our double identities, our preference of what are defined as virtual over what are real, where our senses of sight, touch, taste, smell and hearing are cut out until an image arrives at our monitor?

What do we want for what?

Personally speaking, I care the new lingual possibilities of this life... especially in this totalitarian world where we strive for a breath of freedom...to the extent I don't allow them to change me beyond the limits I set...And I accept them by taking all of their risks into consideration... Making my first decision also my last.

Love?

This phenomenon has many aspects to debate on, and such debates are as old as the mankind. A love story - problem - question typed in to this forum receives its answers from the personal attitude of each of us, from this ancient debate. However, at some point of this debate the subject changed...Thank God for that...I've just wanted to know whether we are aware that what are debated in the present are the possibilities, traps, value and future of the Internet language.... I've just wanted us to be aware of this fact. Us means all of you, even some of them expressed some opinions I didn't agree with.

7.
What can I say! I can only welcome your approach :)) (that's all)
Forum: Virtual Love
İlgi : "DEVIL WHO HAS A THOUSAND FACES APPEARS IN THE FORM OF WORDS...”
Date : Tue, 16 Feb 1999 15:35:20
from: